"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



6.03.2013

Sometimes It Takes a BIG Message to Get the Point Across- Barbara Kruger at The Hirshorn


Barbara Kruger, Belief + Doubt Exhibit, The Hirshorn Museum
If I haven't mentioned it, I have the loveliest, smartest, sweetest intern working with me from T.C. Williams. Patience is a senior and graduates soon, after which she'll head to VCU for a major in fashion. I've been lucky to have her here even if for such a short time.

Besides the obvious work that I do regularly (closet consultations, photo shoots, personal shopping, and blogging) I wanted to make sure that I expressed to Patience other types of things I do in an effort to find inspiration and to make myself more knowledgeable. So today we headed into DC to check out a new exhibit at the National Archives called The Documerica Photography Project- Searching for the Seventies. It was fascinating and I can't wait to tell you more about it later. But we also popped into the Hirshorn (my fave) and came across an exhibit I hadn't been expecting and didn't know was there.(That's why you should always make a stop in the restroom because you never know what you'll find on the lower level of the museum.)

Barbara Kruger, a 60-something artist based in New York, transformed the area into a room full of messages, some funny, some powerful, some provocative but all a thought-inducing. She's well known for "I Shop Therefore I Am"- which you might think is my favorite, but isn't. I do, however, have a few. Topping the list- "Belief + Doubt = Sanity." I'm also a big fan of "Whose Power? Whose Values?" and, finally, as you make your way down the escalator, "Don't Look Down on Anyone."

Really, though, there's something for everyone. It might make you a little uncomfortable with all those giant letters in black, white, and red surrounding you and getting in your face. But a little uncomfortable is what keeps life interesting, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment