"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



7.12.2010

Yves Klein at the Hirshorn and... Lela Rose





The Hirshorn has an Yves Klein exhibit right now (through mid-September) that my family and I stumbled upon a couple of weekends ago after an impromptu trip to the carousel at the National Mall. The exhibit is really interesting and provocative because there is not a lot of explanation about Klein other than his own quotes. If you don't know, Klein was either a genius (which he believed) or a total weirdo (which is basically undeniable) or a combination of both. Since the truth almost always lies somewhere in the middle, I'll go with the combo option. Anyway, he is most well known for his monochromes and the intensely pigmented ultramarine blue he created that he actually patented and named "International Klein Blue." It is a beautiful color- saturated, rich, and luxurious. Of all the different medias he presents it in, each has their own ability to suck you in. One made me want to eat it, it looked so delicious. One made me want to paint myself with it and wear it like clothing. But that would be inappropriate and probably get me arrested for touching the art. But then I found this dress by Lela Rose. It is so intensely blue and rich looking and the shimmer in the fabric so luxurious. If you've ever worn Lela Rose, you know that her fit is really flattering and I'm sure this dress is no exception. So sexy and sophisticated. I can think of 100 events for which this dress would work. And not one that I'm going to. So feel free to invite me to something fabulous soon so I have an excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment