So I'm getting ready to wrap up week one of an extended stay at Rehoboth Beach. Oh my gosh... it is really easy to get laaaazzzzy here when it comes to what I'm wearing. This place is super casual and, since I'm not usually out of my bathing suit until 4 in the afternoon, it has been hard to motivate into anything with a sense of style. That said, here are my modified tips for looking good when you're at a place like this.
1. Embrace the style of the place you're in. Beach= baja. That doesn't have to mean the baja you find at the cheesy beach store on the boardwalk. You know, the kind that feels like it has sand fleas! I like this one from Textile by Elizabeth and James.
2. During the day, anything but flip flops is kind of impractical. Since you're in and out of sand and need to kick off your shoes as a moments notice, they make the best sense. But they don't have to be boring.
3. At night, don't go overboard. You'll attract the wrong attention when you stand out like a sore thumb. A simple sundress in jersey or, if it's cool, some featherweight denim and a tank top.
4. Beachy hair (bumble and bumble surf spray makes it look like you just came in from the beach when, in fact, you took the time to clean up), a little bit of eye makeup (just enough to make your eyes pop with that great tan).
5. Jewelry but not too much. Great earrings or a fun necklace or a couple of bracelets but no need to layer it on as much as you usually would.