"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



6.28.2011

My Big Fuzzy Robe is No More




I remember exactly when I got my first big fuzzy robe. It was a really soft, terry-cloth white one from my mom for Valentine's Day in 1987. I loved that robe and wore it for many, many years; many more than I should have given that even something you only wear in the house and generally after you have bathed gets kind of grimy after a while. I can't say this for certain but I don't think there was another one in between that first robe and the one I've been wearing for many years since then. The "new" robe is ivory and a microfiber rather than a terry-cloth. It is also big and fuzzy. It has a stain at the top back from my wet hair and around the sleeves from the winter when I use a moisturizer with a light tanning agent. It keeps me very warm in the winter and too hot in the summer and yet I could never part with it for one big reason- I hate the feeling of wet hair soaking through a thin robe onto my skin. I have a couple of other, much prettier, robes but they never get used for that reason. But in the past three weeks, two events have come together to change my robe situation forever. First, I saw my friend wearing a "hair turban" that you put on after you wash your hair. This was genius! It could keep my hair off my back. Yesterday, I happened across one of these in a store and bought it immediately. I am happy to say it is comfortable and totally serves it's purpose. Second, I have been in a major cleaning out mode for a few weeks now and was hitting each room hard core with a giant trash bag. I walked into my bathroom and there it hung- the stained, raggedy, giant robe that does absolutely nothing for my self-esteem when I am in it. Without thinking, I grabbed it and tossed it in the bag. Just like that, it was gone. I vowed to never go back. Of course, this means I am on the hunt for a new, gorgeous, FUN robe that feels fresh and clean every time I put it on with my new and (funny) hair turban.

This one is a bit out of my price range but, hey, a girl can dream.


Carine Gilson silk-satin kimono robe- $1,425 available at www.netaporter.com

This one could be perfect!


Lassi robe by Tracy Reese- $128 available at www.anthropologie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment