"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



5.22.2012

Not Shopping is Like My Lithium

I shared with you that I was not shopping for 365 days in part to keep me honest. The other motivation was to challenge myself to find new ways to keep my wardrobe fresh looking without having to add new pieces. But I've discovered something about myself that maybe you can relate to. Not shopping is for me like lithium is to a manic depressive. Sure, I suffered from no feelings of guilt for about 10 weeks. I certainly saved lots of money. But I was bored. So unstimulated. I didn't have a problem "shopping" in my own closet and I wasn't disappointed in the outfits I was putting on. But the drama and excitement were missing. My passion for a new season's colors, fabrics, and styles was purposely pushed away so that I wouldn't feel tempted to purchase. And, so, as you might have guessed, I fell off the wagon. Or stopped taking my lithium. However you want to put it, I went shopping! And, I'm not gonna lie, the only thing I feel guilty about is that I couldn't or perhaps wouldn't (or maybe even shouldn't) stop shopping for a year. Jeez, I didn't even make it 3 months. Does this make me a failure? Yes, in terms of my goal. But, really... I don't think so. I love shopping. I love clothes and shoes and jewelry and fashion. I love being inspired in my clothing by music and movies and books. I love following designers and their inspirations. I believe in living a fashionable life and, for me, that includes partaking in the new stuff that's out there.

I guess what I'm telling you all is this- I've made the decision to allow myself this passion even though there are a lot of people that would call it a vice. My time "off" was good because it made me more focused about what I missed and I feel less inclined to buy just to buy. But I'm a personal shopper for god's sake. I've got to shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment