"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



8.16.2012

The F****ing Skinny Jean Won't Go Away


Follow me on twitter @KJMShopper for tons of cool details about FNO Alexandria!
Like me, you may have been hoping that the skinny jean was on its way out. I fully embraced the wide leg jean about 4 years ago and have a lot more pairs of them than I do skinny jeans. As a matter of fact, I had gotten down to just 1 pair of skinnies- which, since I have about 20 pairs of jeans, is telling. Last fall, as I perused the rack at Nordstrom for a new pair that didn't stretch out so much, the salesgirl actually said to me, "Don't get skinny jeans. They are so out. It's all about the wide leg from now on." I already had about 10 pairs of wide legs and really needed the skinnies so I ignored her. But, even at the time, I laughed to myself wondering why, if skinnies were really so out, was Nordstrom carrying about 90% of that style and about 10% other styles?

If you like skinnies you may question why I don't. The reason is simple. I don't consider my legs to be my best feature. Especially my knees. My mom used to tell me when I was young, "Don't ever stop working out. Fat knees run in our family."  Well, Mom, I didn't stop working out but the fat knees got me anyway! That's really it. It's the leg thing. But that is enough to make trying them on miserable. And they are only getting skinnier! Last night I pulled on a pair of Citizens in black (thinking they would be more forgiving) only to have the experience to be EXACTLY like pulling on a pair of tights. Ugh.

Anyway, the point of all this is to tell you skinny jeans are not going anywhere. So get used to it. And, if you have to have a pair or two in your wardrobe, try out the denim line by Mother. It is the brainchild of former head designer for 7 for All Mankind and the director of sales from Citizens of Humanity. It's like they got together and had a baby called Mother. Ha!

Check them out at Hu's Wear in Georgetown. For skinnies, they're not so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment