"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



11.26.2012

Geek Chic Pour Moi? Mais Non!


Jenna Lyons (photo from People magazine)

Geek Chic


J.Crew knit top / Vero Moda short sleeve shirt, $24 / Citizens of Humanity slim fit jeans / Opening Ceremony suede wedge shoes, $465 / Hermès stainless steel watch / Alexis Bittar yellow gold jewelry



I love me some Leandra Medine from Man Repeller. She's smart, funny, uber stylish, and a phenomenal writer. She pulls off the geek chic look so well and so, well, not geeky. Just like Jenna Lyons, creative director of J. Crew. Tres cool.

Today, I tried my own hand at geek chic. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say... failure. I wore a navy cashmere cardi from J. Crew, a pair of straight leg jeans from Citizens, a vintage tee with a skull illustration, and a pair of wedge shoes (much like the MacAlister booties from J. Crew). You're probably wondering why I just don't post a picture so you can see what I mean. The answer is because I don't want you to see. What can I say? Everybody has a bad outfit day sometimes. This is not to say you shouldn't give it a shot. It can work but just not for me. And that's kind of the thing about fashion. You have to know what works for you and make sure not to force something that doesn't.

P.S.
I did make some minor improvements throughout the day to subtract some of the geek and add some of my usual boho. Case in point, a cool fedora by Hat Attack from The Shoe Hive and these awesome (and sparkly!) ankle boots by Matt Bernson from Bishop Boutique. Much better!


No comments:

Post a Comment