"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



9.19.2010

Over-the-Knee-Boots Come to D.C.




I so clearly remember several years ago when over-the-knee boots came into "style." They were showing them in the fashion mags and they were supposedly the hot thing. I laughed at the time thinking, "Who in Washington, DC is going to wear these and WHERE?!" I knew one woman who had them and saw her wear them once. I thought it was kind of hilarious.

Fast-forward 11 years... I just purchased a pair of over-the-knee boots. Here I am, that much older and I think NOW is the time? Hmmmm.... Well, let me just tell you why it's working for me now.

First, I have tried them with several shorter skirts in my closet. There are one or two that, with tights, I think I can pull off. Without tights it is NOT happening. (I kind of look like a cross between a hooker and a pirate although hopefully of the Julia Roberts Pretty Woman variety:)). But what I actually like is the boots over skinny jeans and skinny cargos. It's not really a far cry from the whole pants tucked into boots thing anyway; it just looks a little edgier. And, while I thought they made my legs look bigger when I didn't have tights on, I think they make my legs look skinnier when they are paired with the pants. On top, I have fuller or blousier pieces and layers like a long cardigan or jacket over a longer top and a great scarf, etc. So I'm keeping them. In the end, I decided my cost per wear wasn't going to be great but it will be better than a lot of other shoes I have and the pair I found was very reasonably priced. Try some on with a bunch of things in your closet and see if they work for you.

One more thing- I ended up with black because that works back to the most in my wardrobe. But I love the taupe and gray versions I've seen and a lighter color is less-piratey, too.

--all of the above-pictured boots are available at www.piperlime.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment