"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



9.07.2010

Vintage Shopping

As I've been making a list of the pieces from this season I want to add to my wardrobe, I've also been doing a little vintage shopping on line and in stores for a 70's costume party I'm going to. I've loved vintage for a long time now especially stuff from the 1950's. I love to get vintage evening bags, jewelry, and even gloves to accessorize with. And, probably the easiest thing to purchase in vintage, coats. But I feel like I've gotten away from it a bit the past couple of years since my favorite vintage store, The Remix, moved out of Alexandria into D.C. I wasn't able to just pop in anymore and peruse the racks. That's the best way to find great stuff- stopping in frequently. But like I said, I've been in several stores lately and have been really inspired.

Annie Cream Cheese in Georgetown is probably the best known vintage store in the D.C. area. And for good reason. The 50's and 60's dresses are to die for, there are tons of high end designer pieces, and pretty much everything in between. Today, I fell in love with a fur shrug from the 60's, a white cotton peasant dress from the 70's and a pendant necklace from the 70's which is perfect for my costume and for half my current wardrobe!

I also stopped in Antics in Charlottesville, Va (105 5th St. SE, downtown mall) this past weekend and was really impressed with the high quality of the clothing. The selection from the 1930's to the 1980's was impressive, in great condition, and very fairly priced (something Annie Cream Cheese cannot necessarily say!). A red and navy one-shoulder disco dress from the 70's definitely caught my eye as well as a beautiful pair of gold heels from the 20's in a size 9N!!! Really old vintage shoes run very small and you almost never find a size like 9. Too bad for my wide feet they were a narrow. Oh, did I mention the isanely hilarious bell bottom jeans and boots my husband got for his 70's costume! They were perfect!

Long story short, before I blow all my cash on items from current stores, I'll be doing some serious looking at these stores when I DON'T have my kids and I can really get down to business!

No comments:

Post a Comment