"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



10.19.2010

The 70's- Yeah Baby!






Try this with something modern like a black leather obi belt and some super high heels.



There are certain style factors that have been a part of my wardrobe for a long time now. These are kind of "uniform" pieces for me (white tee shirts, birkenstocks, a great pair of jeans, cargo pants in military olive, turquoise jewelry to name a few). There are people who know me from back in the day that did not consider this uniform to be particularly stylish. Or at least they considered it to be a little too consistent. But the fact that these items and a few more that have been added over the years are somewhat of a uniform is really not a surprise considering I actually wore a uniform to school for the better part of my childhood. It is also the fact that I wore a uniform for the entire decade of the 80's that made me somewhat detached from this decade's defining styles even though, really, this is the decade of clothing that should define me. I consider myself lucky in this. So I've bounced around over the years from decade to decade, enjoying vintage and enjoying it just as much when an "old" style becomes "new" again. A dress from the 50's will forever hold it's place in my heart as my favorite silhouette. A higher waisted trouser from the 40's will always look sophisticated. But the 70's is so much fun! Everything was cool in the 70's. From maxi dresses to mini skirts and swingy wrap disco dresses, from sequins to fur, from high waisted wide legged jeans to midriff baring halters, it all works. Oh! Don't forget the hats! All types of hats. It is such an easy decade to accessorize with. I hope this trend lasts a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment