"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



10.17.2010

Neutral Color

Since I don't have room in my closet for all my clothes, I installed an elfa system from The Container Store on one wall of my bedroom where I now display a large portion of my clothing and my shoes. I think of this as a version of art; my husband may disagree. (Note- he did get a shelf for a nice flat-screen tv when all this was done so he didn't totally lose out!) Sometimes at night, before I fall asleep, I stare at the clothes making new outfits in my head or thinking about what I wish I could add or sometimes just noticing I need to get more organized. The other night, I noticed something new. Although I do not consider myself to be a person who uses a lot of color in my clothing- I prefer to do this in accessories- a subtle, almost neutral color has begun to creep in, making itself a force that threatens the domination of my grays. That color is blush. I think the reason this has happened is because the other go-to neutral, tan, does not look good on me. I'm fair and it washes me out or makes me look kind of yellow. But blush, with it's rosey hue, gives my skin tone some life without screaming, "Look at me! I'm wearing pink!" It's also feminine without being overly girly, another good contrast to my often edgier pieces. Finally, I seem to be drawn to the color most frequently when it appears in delicate, floaty fabrics like silk or cashmere, making it seem even more luxurious. Here is one way I'd wear it for a night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment