"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



4.25.2011

High School Reunion


Brooks Brothers shirt available at mrporter.com


Burberry pants available at mrporter.com


Vintage Shoe Company boots available at nordstrom.com

I consider myself to be somewhat of an expert at reunion attire. (Yes, I am bragging but this is my job, after all.) There is a very fine line that is particularly true of reunions of looking amazing, cool, and totally pulled together while at the same time looking like you don't give a shit what anyone there thinks about you because you are grown up now and you don't need their approval. Once again, looking high maintenance should be avoided at all costs. This is not the time to debut some hot little dress that will have all the girls whispering behind your back or to wear some boring sweater set and frumpy pants. A big go-to for me when I'm advising people on this is a dark wash pair of jeans. This always works because 1. most reunions are not very fancy since organizers are trying to keep costs down and 2. you can really dress up jeans like this but not have to worry you'll be overdressed because you're wearing denim. However, my own husband's high school reunion is this weekend and I just happened to go online to see that it is at a country club and that there is a dress code! Aaarrgh! Thank god I checked because jeans are not permitted at all. This really stinks for the guys because a great pair of jeans, cool button down, and jacket is now out of the question. And they have to wear a collared shirt. For me, you should be able to guess what I'll use as my stand by... the silk pants, of course! For my husband, maybe something like this. He would actually end up more casual than if he were in jeans but they couldn't kick him out and he would accomplish that cool-without-trying look. Now I just have to convince him!

No comments:

Post a Comment