"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



2.22.2011

I think I've finally figured out why so many of the fashion bloggers are so young (in their twenties, to be more specific). As I skim through their blogs each day, often admiring the ensembles they have on, I'm reminded that there is NO F'ING WAY I could dress like that each day! Why? Because I have kids. And responsibilities like grocery shopping, carpooling, laundry, and charity meetings. Even when I dress for a client appointment, I'm mindful of who I'm going to be working with. I mean, if it's the first time I'm meeting them and they work at a conservative law firm or something and I show up in 6 inch heels, vintage fur, and pant legs 3 times as wide as my body, they are going to be concerned about my ability to understand and dress them for their lifestyle. And can you see me showing up at my local Y to discuss programs for disadvantaged youth in $800 shoes? Feels kind of tacky. So, no knock to all those gorgeous young women out their setting the bar HIGH for very cool personal style; I applaud them all. But I'm going to keep plugging away at how to be fashionable in my real-life world of toddlers, sleepless nights, and Washington, DC. Anyway, it snowed last night, just enough to make it wet and slushy, and the day is gray and cold. This outfit seems perfectly reasonable, don't you think?



P.S.- Does this sound like a defensive rant? I hope not. As a show of good will, check out these two blogs by young women who manage to look uber-cool every day.
www.seaofshoes.typepad.com and www.theblondesalad.com

No comments:

Post a Comment