"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



2.10.2011

I'm still recovering from my too-quick visit to New York. I just can't go, go, go like I used to! Actually, I think I go, go, go more but it's in a different way. Anyhow, I'm hard at work figuring out ways to make this blog better for you guys.

I wanted to tell you about the fabulous fashion at the conference. It was definitely one of those events, being exclusively for fashion bloggers, that you knew you better come up with something good. I was torn about my footwear knowing I'd have shoes on from 5 am until midnight but I ended up with flats to travel in and some raspberry platform heels for the day. But enough about me!

I had a couple of favorites but first I'll admit that I seem to be on the older end of the scale when it comes to fashion bloggers. At least three quarters of the women there were in their twenties. This might also explain why all the technology part of this comes so easily to them and I am googling to find out what hashtags are before I get there so I don't look like a total idiot. But I digress. Some in this young crowd reminded me that you haven't necessarily come into your fashion "own" when you're in your twenties. Some have. But not all. That age-old fashion no-no of piling on every trend at once was a problem for a couple of people. Oooomph. It was a lot.

On the other hand, I was blown away by how many of them were SO cool, SO sophisticated, and, most of all, SO original. They were an inspiration. I met a lovely young woman from Michigan who had it just right for her age. She had on floral mini skirt with opaque tights, dark gray platform heels, and, the best part, a fabulous hat with a small feather. She looked fantastic. I mean, she would have really stood out walking down the street in Old Town but she looked perfect for this event. Another wore a perfect ode to Janis Joplin outfit- and I mean that as a total compliment. Red sheath dress, royal purple burned-out velvet robe, whisper feather earrings, big chunky platform sandals, and this amazing huge black tassel necklace. When I asked her where she got it, she told me she had made it from a drapery pull-back. Brilliant!

My very favorite, though, was Danielle, who is one half of the jewelry design duo Dannijo- a line which I LOVE!! She was in casual skinny jeans tucked into mid-calf boots with a smaller and thicker heel ( about 2 inches), an ivory peasant top with a slim fur vest and a GORGEOUS turquoise necklace presumably from their line. She was hip, interesting, and still looked comfortable. I loved it! I can't locate a picture of her online yet but I'll post it for fun as soon as I see one.

In the meantime, here's my own "Ode to Janis" inspired by the blogger I met who may or may not have realized who she was channeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment