"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



1.13.2011

Beating the Winter Blues



I'm really not that into winter. I like about 1 month of it. Just enough to use my sweaters, have a little snow, and accessorize with a scarf or two. After that, I'm pretty much done. So I always struggle this time of year with keeping myself motivated. When it comes to working out, I love to run and box. Those are the two things I've done for years now and I always enjoy. But this year, I'm trying to mix things up a little more. I figure if I can really enjoy my workout, I'll work out harder which will pay off in the spring. Plus, I tend to eat more when I'm hibernating in my house so that can be difficult.

I've been a member of the YMCA Alexandria since 1998. I love it there and they always get the "trendy" classes or equipment eventually. But I am by no means on the cutting edge of trendy workouts. They just started a zumba class there that I tried this week (I know, I know- you've been doing this for a year, right?). I am a BAD dancer. But I had a GREAT time! I figured if everyone else was concentrating as hard as I was, then no one was able to watch me anyway. Next week, I'm going to wear something more conducive to this class instead of running clothes. Running clothes just don't have that "I'm a cool and sexy dancer" kind of feel.

I also purchased the Pussycat Dolls dance/workout dvd after seeing them on a Biggest Loser episode. It looked like fun. I tried it for the first time today while my kids were with the babysitter because once I turned on the warm-up and there was butt slapping which just didn't seem appropriate for my 2 and 3 year old. Anyway, I like it okay although I had a hard time really working up a sweat in my living room.

Finally, I've signed up for a couple of races, one of which is a 10 miler, a distance I've never done a race in. I'm hoping that keeps me motivated with the running since my friends and are are doing the Ragnar Relay again this year (a 201 mile relay race!).

I guess I'm into the dancing stuff right now- probably because I don't have a lot of very good moves- but I'm open to anything fun and new. Let me know what you're doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment