"Feeling unique is a habit you shouldn't give up."

- Alberto Fermani



"Anyone can get all dressed up and glamorous, but it is how people dress in their off days that is the most intriguing."

-Alexander Wang



1.05.2011

Winter Skin Care and Early Spring Cleaning



When the weather is this cold and I'm going in and out of dry heat and cold air all day, my skin starts to look...old. I'm unwilling to admit that may be due in part to my advancing age. Consequently, I dutifully follow a skin-care regimen that I think makes a difference. Since I fall on the oily skin spectrum, I don't use a heavy moisturizer but I still have to use something. I turn to Aveeno's Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion in the morning and night before bed. It is noncomedogenic and keeps my skin from getting flaky. For my lips, I am obsessed over this really inexpensive lip balm called Cocoa Butter lip balm by cococare. It is silky and soft and, even though it is not glossy at all, it gives my lips a little life. I literally have tubes of it everywhere- in my purse, car, make-up bag, vanity, gym bag, and guest bathroom! For night time or if I'm looking particularly tired, I religiously use Creme de la Mer's eye cream, The Eye Concentrate. It is the first eye cream I've ever used that 1. I actually could see results over time and 2. didn't make me break out. It lasts forever so the cost is worth it. Finally, my hands. Between washing my hands about 50 times a day (I still have one in diapers) and the weather, my hands look shockingly old some days. I swear by good old-fashioned Aquaphor. I have used this on my kids for every skin issue under the sun and, like the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who swears by Windex as a cure-all, Aquaphor Healing Ointment is my go-to solution. It's too thick for multiple applications during the day but a little of this on the back of my hands each night before bed makes a world of difference.

In addition to the daily (growing) maintenance, this is also the perfect time of year to start planning your spring cleaning- and I don't just mean your closet. Assess what you think needs help from the dermatologist or esthetician and make your appointments now. Anything you need lasered, zapped, or otherwise helped should be done between now and March when you'll be showing a little more skin again. This gives you time to heal or, if you're doing something like varicose/spider vein treatments, you'll have to wear heavy constriction tights which you WON'T want to have on when it's warm or when anyone can see them. Laser hair removal needs skin without a suntan so it, too, should be done now. Moles, freckles, dark spots, uneven skin tone- the list goes on- all will respond better now, heal by the time spring arrives, and be all set for your religious application of sunscreen, hats, and sunglasses.

It's a lot of work getting older. But with a plan and a budget, I hope I'm at least slowing it down!

Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Lotion, Cocoa Butter lip balm by cococare, and Aquaphor Healing Ointment all available at CVS or at cvs.com.
Creme de la Mer The Eye Concentrate available in stores or at cremedelamer.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment